Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   which year gas gas (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24927)

gassergrant 01-13-2020 12:19 PM

which year gas gas

Ih all been away from the gas gas for a bit whilst doing mx with a Honda crf.

im looking at getting a second bike (ec 300) as I miss em.

I used to have a 03 ec300 but found the suspension a bit old but a cracking bike. with out getting a brand new bike what years are good and which are not so good

thanks grant

ssaulnier 01-13-2020 01:53 PM

I really liked a used 2007 EC300 after I revalved the forks and shock, jetted the carb and added a thicker seat foam.

I sold that bike and bought a brand new 2018 EC300 for the newness, KYB Suspension and Electric start. I did not find the 2018 to be a significant improvement for the trail riding I do. The KYB Forks are still a bit harsher than the revalved open chamber Zokes on the 2007.

But it?s nice to have a new bike. Fit and finish and plastics are better on the new bike, the electric start is nice to quickly restart when I occasionally stall while following someone so they don?t get too far ahead and lose me in the woods. And she is drop dead gorgeous!

(F5) 01-13-2020 06:00 PM

I was going to be funny and say avoid the 2021 model.

An 07 will be a clunky old beast now unless you find one that has been put away carefully.

I have an 07 but as the hours mount up I've replaced carb and master cylinder etc as they eventually wear. The older a dirtbike, the longer it has been in the hands of a dirtbike owner or several. I'm holding onto mine. I have also put on KYB YZ250 forks but revalved they are oceans better than my valved zokes.

Anders 01-14-2020 01:06 AM

The 2011 models are regarded as a good year, being the last of the first generation of frames.

I really love my 2015 model with its Reiger rear shock and (revalved) Marzocchi pfp forks, although others may think otherwise.

But as others have said, a 10+ year old dirtbike may have seen a lot of abuse.
Even my 5 year old one is now at 250 hours and needs some attention during my annual winter service.

(F5) 01-14-2020 02:01 AM

Yes sadly the later ones got taller. My mates 15 goes great after he got the pv adjusted properly and fitted an RM needle. But I cant really ride it unless I steal Gene Simmons boots.

gassergrant 01-14-2020 11:32 AM

thanks lads some good input
money wise I was looking at say 07 to 12 ish depending on the bike and condition.
looking for something I can just jump on that's standard suspension wise and maybe at some point re valving. I would like to keep the crf for track work as I like the bike a lot but if did sell I would look at a year old GG.

thanks grant

gassergrant 01-14-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 193465)
I was going to be funny and say avoid the 2021 model.

An 07 will be a clunky old beast now unless you find one that has been put away carefully.

I have an 07 but as the hours mount up I've replaced carb and master cylinder etc as they eventually wear. The older a dirtbike, the longer it has been in the hands of a dirtbike owner or several. I'm holding onto mine. I have also put on KYB YZ250 forks but revalved they are oceans better than my valved zokes.

had to think about that lol whats wrong with a 21 lol

Cantero 01-16-2020 05:44 AM

It's not a 2011? Kidding aside, 2021 looks decent to me.