View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
I am participating in a 100 mile race in about 5 weeks. Nutrition-wise I can set myself up for a two hour race pretty well, but this one looks to be about four hours. Also, I will be camping, so food preparation and storage is key. What I would normally do is make a stack of sandwiches (or bring sandwich fixings) and eat them all weekend, but I think that I should treat my body better than that. So, I reach out to all of you for experience in what to pack for a three day adventure (maybe just two, but planning for duration just in case). I have four objectives:
1) Be properly fed for performance and duration during the race
2) Be prepared for appropriate recovery after the race
3) Pack the right food to feed myself (and maybe others as needed) over the duration of the weekend
4) Don't pack a dozen donuts because "I'm going to need the calories anyway..."

The schedule for the weekend is this:
Friday: Leave town in the afternoon, get to camp site around dinner time. Eat, drink, sleep.
Saturday: Breakfast, get through all of the registration, head out for the family poker run (20 mile loop, repeat as much as you want). Eat, drink, sleep.
Sunday: Breakfast, rider's meeting, two 50 mile loops. There is a fuel stop in the pits, I plan to swap out hydration packs, fill the tank, and have an appropriate snack to fuel myself for the last loop.

Here's where I need help:
1) What should I eat before the race? What should I eat at the halfway point?
2) What is good recovery food? I know that I want a good mix of carbs and protein, but I want suggestions beyond my sandwich idea.
3) What can I pack that won't spoil and is easy to prepare? I don't think I'll have a stove available (mostly because I don't own one), so it will probably be cold cuts and the like. But, I'm limited in my ideas for camp food, so give me some ideas.
4) Donuts? I'll bring a couple, but I'll try to restrain myself from a dozen old-fashioned or apple fritters.

I love eating fruits, nuts, and vegetables. I also train with Clif bars, so I know that my system is prepared for that type of food. I have no problem making pre-cooked meals and freezing them in advance, like fish, chicken, beef, etc., if that is a good idea.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Never have had a 100 mile non stop race (sounds like fun) Oatmeal would be a great place to start!
Powerbars is what I keep in my hydro pack for a mid trail snack.....exception to I need a ton of water to wash it down.

Good Luck!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals