View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 PM

EDIT:
Rick, I got my reply in after you had posted that you went with the blue springs. And I may be confused at the stiffness difference between the springs, but the blue ones are the ones you want. My un-edited post remains below:

The adjustment springs are the tiny ones under the 1/4 turn locks that hold the EXP friction disk assembly together. There are 6 of them.
For the Gassers the assembly comes from Rekluse with 3 blue and 3 red springs (medium engagement). That is typically too hard a set-up and causes stalling and a hard clunk and lurch when dropped into gear. There is way too much creep in gear at idle.
The silver springs are used for most of the Jap bikes and I gather from the table in the instructions that they are stiffer even than the red ones. Sounds like your used kit isn't for a Gasser. I recommend calling Rekluse to ensure that the plates and other bits are the ones you need. All the kits share parts, but there are also bike-specific parts in there.

Back to the blue springs:
Swapping out the springs for all blue ones will raise the engine speed required for the clutch to start engaging. You will get less clutch drag at idle and a smoother engagement as you roll on the throttle off idle.
Its confusing because the table labels the blue springs "High Springs." They are actually lighter springs and refer to a "higher" speed requirement for engagement.

The center pressure plate adjuster is used to adjust the feel of the clutch lever to rider preference. It effects how the lever feels when the clutch gets hot. Its small window of recommended adjustment of 1 turn to 1 turn + 4 tick marks (1 turn + 2 ticks being the starting point) ensures that as the clutch heats up it will disengage and as it wears over time it wont slip and cause premature wear.