View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I've just ridden my brother in law's '08 KTM 300 XC-W. I can only compare it to my own bike, an '01 GG EC 300, Ohlins front and rear, LTR revalved, Scotts damper, absolutely everything available for Gas Gas is on my bike. It's the sweetest thing this side of a factory ride. The only thing missing is the mechanic to take care of it for me while I shower.

Okay, that said, here goes.
The KTM is bone stock, but for the bar risers and GPR damper. The bike feels, and probably is a lot lighter than the Gas Gas. The power is amazing. It feels a wee bit stronger perhaps, but perhaps it was because my bike is better jetted. My bike has instant throttle response, his was good, but mine is totally dialed. I realize that's setup, but I had to mention it anyway.
The suspension is surprisingly good for a KTM. I was so surprised that the rear suspension actually worked without kicking or doing anything wierd. This was stock, no revalve, not even a clicker moved. I liked it just fine.

Turning: My old chassis Gasser still turns better, and feels more planted than the new KTM. Maybe it's because it's heavier, maybe that's even a good thing in this case. I felt like I couldn't just choose my line on the KTM as well as I can on my GG. Tires to blame? Maybe, but the KTM certainly didn't hold a line as well as my bike.

Odds and endo's: I am a total electric start naysayer. I think it's girly on a two stroke. For crying out loud, move the lever out and kick the thing, they start soooooooo easy. BUT!!! As I was chasing him through the woods he stalled his bike. I was no more than 15 feet behindhim, so I wanted to run into him and break in his bike right . Well, the turd poked that button and took off before I could ram him. Then later, on a gnarly hill climb, he stalled just over a root in the trail. The most amazing thing happened, he relit the thing and got going before the bike could roll back over the root, which would've happened had he not relit.

I think the KTM is a great bike. I also think the Gas Gas is a great bike. I am convinced that I can ride a Gas Gas faster, for a longer period of time than a KTM. Gas Gas is not as mechanic friendly as the KTM. Some things are a little harder to get to, but what happens in the garage isn't as important as what happens on the trail.
How did you feel about the KTM's wide ratio 5 speed tranny vs the GG 6 speed. Was it a noticeable difference or does the KTM 300 just pull it easliy with no gappy feeling? I love the idea of the 6 speed myself.

I believe many of the anti 2 stroke e-start people rode one for a day, especially in really gnarly terrain where the stall factor is much higher they would have a change of heart about it. JMHO here. You can also put a Rekluse on which helps prevent stalling issues but some don't believe in them either.

Skidad in MA