View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Default short riders unite

The whole deciding factor when i set out to buy a 2t enduro ended up being seat height. GasGas over KTM. No question. I picked up an '07. Nowdays they aren't that much different. I will squeeze every ounce of life out of this bike before i have to buy a new one just because of the seat height.

Here is my progression of changes:

07 EC300 and I'm 5'8 with 30" inseam. First I shaved the seat 1 inch with electric knife and put Kouba lowering link on and slid foks up... Happier, not dumping my bike over hardly at all. But miss squeezing the seat with knees and on big hits back tire hit inside rear fender. Also can't really hammer jumps anymore.

Next had suspension shortened 1" by LTR (back to regular seat and ditched lowering link) and that's all I need. Pro: I never dump my bike over (unless riding 5MOH LOL) Con: I ground out the frame or hit the footpegs when my buddies don't. At first I hated that but I hate dumping my bike over more. Now I watch out for areas I might hit, and I'm adjusting.

If I was a better rider I would have "normal" suspension length, then plan stops better, and keep my momentum up better. I need to plan ahead better, that's the bottom line.

I've been crying to the magazine editors why someone doesn't build a light short 2t enduro for shorter riders. Well, KTM now does, the Freeride 250R, but they don't import it to the US. Yet. Good ground clearance with short(er) seat height. Check the specs online. Or don't, it just made me crazy because I can't have it

I work with an orthopedic surgeon who is 5'3 and motocrosses a CRF150R, and asked me to set up a KTM enduro for her so she could put her feet down. A starting point of 38" seat height is probably not a great idea for her. Oh I could get it low enough but it would perform like crap. I just think there is a decent market for a light short enduro bike (2 or 4T) but I guess no one seems to think the expense of manufacturing a more compact frame will be worth it. I can get MTB frames all sizes all day but not dirt bikes.

Sorry so blabbery but this thread hits a nerve with me. Makes me want to start my own dirt bike company LOL