View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
You Win! I have the owners service manual for a 2002 but the bike is a 2003 according to the VIN Number.

It was 40 degrees today so I thought I'd try to get the bike started. It wasn't easy. After it started, I thought it was funny. The bike was in neutral but with the vibration it was creepy backwards. See scratch in the cement

The fork caps were a little stripped. I wanted to get them off to changed the fork fluid. I don't think the seals are leaking anymore or at least I'll give them a try. But, this is not a good way to take the fork caps off. They were a little tight. I had to use the impact and heat.
my 2002 did the exact same thing. If I had a big enough slab it would have been a perfect circle.

Careful using the impact on the caps, I did the same and started to round off the aluminum nut on the top.

Here are some finer points of your bike- The ignition is the 2K2, or "lightweight flywheel." You don't have a lot of power for accessories, so pick your battles if you are going to plate it and need lights. I recommend getting a nice heavy flywheel weight to keep it from stalling in the technical sections. I had a 2002 with no weight and had issues in root fields. I added a decent sized weight and it helped. I then moved up to a 2011 with the 2K3 flywheel, and noticed an immediate difference in the same root fields in that I stalled less with the heavier flywheel. I am a convert for a heavier weight in the technical stuff.

Also, you will want to check squish. RB Designs will help with that. Well worth the ~$100 (after shipping) to help tune the bike and increase the engine potential.

Enjoy the bike, they are great machines when maintained.