Thread: Gearbox oil
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 01:54 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I would suggest you start with the cheapest (eg rotella, avoid oils with friction additives, you need friction for your clutch) and if you get a lot of clutch squeal then move up a $ or 2 to the next and try that.

In all my previous bikes i ran basic engine oil 40w or diesel engine specific oil 15w40 and changed it according to the amount of abuse i had given the clutch (sometimes after 1 ride if that ride included a multiple bike boiling climb in it) and never had to replace any clutch or gearbox. With the GG however i found that those oils gave quite a lot of clutch squeal and found that the bellray gearsaver worked well and was the cheapest bike specific oil available so have not moved on from that.

Having said that i recently drowned my bike properly (it almost floated past me upside down!) and had to flush out the oil. normally i use parafin oil (benzine/lamp oil in the usa?) but as i did not have any at hand i used some atf dex3 to flush the g box and rode around the garden to mix it up before draining, and i must say the bike felt really nice, the gear changes felt nice and smooth and the clutch engagement good. I have heard that some of the GG stalwarts here in SAafrica use the Motorex ATF so may give that a bash next