View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfodave View Post
To make a long story medium length, my first GG was a 99EC300. In fact it was S/N 0001, first one off the boat. It was supposed to have the torque monster "true EC" ignition and a counter balancer. Well, as anyone who has owned a Gasser might guess, it had a small 2k-whatever ignition and no CB, and the main bearings with plastic ball retainers that eventually locked up. But it was a great bike, got a tag for it, rode it for along time and finally sold it quite some time ago. But I never got over the desire for a counter balanced 300 with a plate. Plus I miss the awesomeness that was Smackover and Jim Cook; good to see Jim is still on here, getting it done.
I have been drinking the orange Kool Aid for some time, so I am a little rusty with my GG knowledge, but I remember some quad shop was doing a good job finish machining the cases and installing the CB. Maybe LTR too? I think 2004 was the last year with engine cases with the space for the CB. Will a pre-2005 motor fit into a more modern frame? Are there any particular model years 2005-on that were big steps in handling/suspension that I should shoot for? Will the old "true EC" ignition plug into a modern wiring loom? Or should I not worry about that, as I chanced across the thread about the 23oz flywheel weight! Counter-balancer plus 23oz FWW = dualsport from hell!
Naturally, I am trying to do this on the cheap as I have one in college and one headed that way before too long. if anyone has a line on a plated bike or any of the "parts" mentioned, I'd love it if you would PM me. I'm finally going to build the 300 I thought I ordered!
TIA
I think that quad shop your refering to was MotoWest down in So.Cal......They also made MotoWest pipes for the bikes as well!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals