View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Ok so a bit of an update.

I did it! and the only mishap is some slight scoring to the bottom of the shock where the rag i wrapped around it slipped and the vice jaws made a bit of a mark.

The reservoir pressure was still at 150Psi and i almost thought i should stop there - it is fine!!

anyway figured i should give it a bash and glad i did. The oil was black and smelly. As a result i stripped down the shims as well to give them an individual clean.

followed the manual provided in an earlier post and it is honestly quite a simple process - i would say it is easier than doing forks (maybe because the shock is smaller, easier to work with and ther is only one of them!)
Following the manual i skipped the full rebuild of the shock, basically did what jakobi mentioned in his post and I hope it is fine. Will take it for a spin this weekend and do some proper testing to see if i can get it to work well with just clickers or if i need to revalve.

if it is a revalve i will be calling for help because having seen the shim stack i have no idea where to start - they are so small and thin, how will i know weather to go with 0.1mm or 0.25mm they look and feel almost the same, and i think if i have to strip it down and do it again the novelty of stripping shocks will wear off. mostly it is the peripheral stripping that i find frustrating, it would not be so bad if i could just remove the shock like, i think you can with the ktm (did i really say that!)

gassed the shock up with a bicycle shock pump so if you do not hear from me you will know that i died as a result of air-oil shock explosion ;-)