View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
I had just put in a new float needle before the weekend of riding. Maybe 8 hours of ride time.

It kind of seems like the slide is stuck though. I held a 12 oz jar under the vent hoses and let it fill up while it was on reserve. Fuel coming out the bottom and top vent lines.

I just put in more gas and with the petcock "on" it's just coming from the float bowl vent.
Slide is completely independent from the fuel overflow. The fuel is overflowing from the float bowl through the vent tubes because the float needle is sticking open. It's not an indicator of a worn float needle, just that it's stuck.

Give the body of the carb a couple if decent whacks with the handle of a screwdriver, that should knock the needle back into place. Also, shut off the gas before the fuel starts draining into the cylinder (too late). Pull the spark plug, kick it over a couple of times to clear the cylinder, reinstall the plug and have a go at the starter. All with the gas turned off. once it's running turn the fuel tap on and check that it isn't still overflowing; if it is, give it another couple of whacks with the screwdriver. If that doesn't work, time to pull the bowl and look at the float needle.