View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
I see lots of calls for the KYB SSS, and from all reports it is a very good fork. I'm thinking that it is somehow proprietary to Yamaha? Otherwise, I don't see why the smaller Euro brands (Beta, GG, Sherco) wouldn't use them. Were the KYB forks on the Italian Huskies the SSS variant? What about the KYB on the TMs? Anybody know? If the SSS is not proprietary to Yamaha, why not spec them? Could it be the cost?

Beta has gone with Sachs front and rear, and the new Sachs CC fork on the race edition. Shercos in NA come with WP OC forks and WP shock, and after a re-spring I'm pretty happy with them.

Should be interesting to see what GG specs for 2017. If Rod says it's not Sachs, maybe it'll be WP ... ha ... that speculation should stir the nest ...
Some of the italian husky models come with the SSS before the end of their run.

The KYB SSS is nothing special - 47mm showa is *very* similar - if you put the same valving in both - the physics of the situation would mean they would behave *very* similar as well...

SSS = speed sensitive system. All forks are speed sensitive - even those with a damper rod!

I like the sachs rear shock in steel (beta comes with aluminum body but it is available in either) over something japanese - I like steel over aluminum (for body) and I prefer a piston over a bladder. Something that is on the trail for 8 hours should be steel so it doesn't fade and better service interval (doesn't turn black with aluminum fouling).

And don't stir the pot too much - Rod and Mark are still on their holiday vacation - I will keep things turned down a notch until after the first to give them a break. (This is a moderated forum and I am moderating... )

Jeff