View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 11:13 PM

Hi Dirt Dud.
Everyone fell over pretty much equally. Brand don't make much of a difference there.
What we do know is that the guy who rocks up there and cannot put his feet flat on the ground when he sits on his bike, will be the one face down on the ground for most of the ride.
No matter what people say, a lower seat height is a huge advantage. Especially in race conditions. On a casual ride, you can still stop on a flat part and let the guy in front of you do his thing (for the most part). In race conditions you need to go go go and you stall or have to stop in very awkward places and being able to keep that bike upright is critical. Falling over taps your energy and costs you a lot of time.
As an example:
Dillan was on a KTM 350. His feet are flat on the ground when he sits on the bike. He probably fell over the least. Du Toit was on a KTM 300. His toes/balls of his feet touch the ground when he sits on the bike. He was on the floor the most by far.

For that reason, the Xride would be nice in those conditions I agree. I would caution people to read too much into bike weight though. A bike that is a little bit on the heavy side, with its weight down LOW carries its momentum a lot better than a lighter bike. It is less effort to ride on the rocks. The lighter bike, the more you have to focus on front wheel placement. As an extreme example: On my txt300 (trials bike), if I do a rocky bit (let's say smallish/medium rocks of about 20cm to 30cm high) I have to make SURE that the front wheel hits each and every rock at least 3/4 up the top of the rock. On the EC300 I simply lean back and roll on some gas.

But I have to stress that I am NOT a pro. I'm sure all of what I said above means nothing when you put a pro on the bike. But for me, a mere mortal, I personally find the above important.