View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
I use a mix of wheel bearing grease and anti-seize (about 80:20) in all my linkage and swingarm bearings. I also pack the gap between the axle seal and wheel bearings with this same mix. After every wash, or ride that was full of water crossings, I give a shot of WD40 to every pivot point/axle seal.

I check on the lower shock mount every 50-75 hrs, as it's the canary in the coal mine for linkage maintenance. If the lube in it is still good, everything else is still good.

Never had a bearing go bad with this method. Never have had to replace wheel bearings.
I avoid pressure washers, and follow similar maintenance schedules, using a high quality grease. I do however, ride in water crossings every time the bike goes out. There is no such thing as a ride without. I service my shock more frequently than 50-75 hrs and every time the shock comes out the linkages get greased. Just unfortunate that the seals let go and the damage has been done.

I generally have the wheel off a couple times before I replace the rubber, but if I don't at 30hrs the axles get dried out a bit and don't slide out as easily by hand anymore. Not seized by any means, but in need of lube. It's just the conditions I ride in. The answer is to do things more frequently.. easy said, but hard when time is tight and you need to schedule to wash the bike let alone regrease all the pivots.