View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
My son built a SM version of his 08 model 300. He was lucky enough to find a set of GG wheels locally.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/pic...&pictureid=871
I have not heard of other wheels that fit right in without modifications, but (almost) anything can be made to fit if you have access to a lathe and a milling machine

In general the front wheel will be pretty easy to do, while the rear is more difficult as you have to search for a wheel with (almost) the same distance between sprocket and brake disk as the originals.

I have several wheel sets for my bikes so I can make any measurements you need. I can do it this week, but am quite busy so it may take a few days.

I have done wheel conversions on other bikes (fitted a set of PVM magnesium rims intended for a Ducati TT2 to my Bimota Supermono) so I know what it takes.

Depending on what you find on the secondhand market, I think you'll eventually find that the wheels from Motocrosscenter actually are quite affordable. Remember that the price includes disks and sprocket and even tires.

Regarding the front sprocket I don't really see the point in going bigger than 14, as there are plenty of smaller rear sprockets available.
Hey Anders !
Thanks for your thorough reply.

I do have access to a lathe so I can do bushings and things like that. The idea is that I just don't want to spend 2 months on it if it's too much work ^^

Thank you for your proposition, that's very kind ! I'll let you know which measurements I need if I go and check some wheels.
As you can see in this example : https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_...76.htm?ca=16_s (this is our "Gumtree" haha), even with brand new tires, I can get a set of rims for half the price of new ones. And they'll do the same job !

For the sprocket, I was a bit afraid that a small rear sprocket could eventually get the chain to touch the swing arm or the chain guide. Any thoughts about this ?

Thanks a lot

Antoine