View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Site Sponsor

I'm assuming you stripped one of the triple clamp pinch bolts. If you did you are going to have trouble with your 1st and 3rd "link" choices as you won't be able to get around the bolt head as its recessed.

Your 2nd choice has the right idea but only works as good as the torque provided by the cordless drill you’re using.

The extractor that I’ve had the best luck with is the one that uses a 'left handed" (reverse cut) drill bit and a matching tapered extractor tap you place into the hole you drill into the center of the bolt in question.

One thing to try, if the bolt you’re talking about is a triple clamp bolt, is to make sure you tighten the bolts along side the one that is frozen as this takes some of the pressure off of the bolt you are trying to remove.

No matter where your bolt is located make sure you use penetrating oil prior to using any extractor to possibly help loosen the stubborn bolt.

Please note that the problem with using any extractor is that you normally get only one chance to make it work before the process damages the bolt head to the point that making a second attempt usually doesn't work.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist

Last edited by Berkyboy; 05-27-2008 at 04:15 PM.