View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornDutchman View Post
Those are fair and great questions. Since I haven't ridden the '18 GG and '18 Beta back to back its really hard to answer without bias. But I'll try.

1st. From all my conversations and my own experience everyone I know who has ridden the older Beta's and Gassers back to back has preferred the gasser. Not to say Beta doesn't make a good bike. I've just always found that they don't handle as well. And being Italian they are known to have a lot of quirks with electrical issues. I see you own a Beta so I can't speak to your experience. Thats just what I've noticed talking with friends and local racers.

2nd. I recommend that you don't look at GasGas as a stand-alone entity. Look at them instead as Torrot/GasGas. Because that is who they are. While its true that GasGas has recently had struggles, Torrot is a solid company with a solid portfolio of success. I expect no less from them with GasGas. I'll be buying a gasser because of Torrot. Because all my research leads me to believe in Torrot.

3rd. Kickstarter. Say goodbye to holeshots in XC racing unless that thing just so happens to be bang on every single time. That along with having to drag my bike to the top of a hill every time I need to start it if my battery just so happens to fail in the bush would have me worried. I'd be ordering the optional kickstarter with it. Which really closes the gap on the price difference. Considering the kit retails for $400 on the XTrainer I'd imagine the price will be similar on the 300. Meaning the price difference is only $400. Not $800.

4th. KYB suspension is good. Like really good. Yamaha's SSS system has been drooled over for a long time by everyone. And with it being one of the most popular brands in offroad racing there are tuners everywhere with parts and know-how to get you dialed in.

5th. Lithium battery. They are great. And I will be running one on my gasser when I get around to putting the E-start back on. But the problem with them is that they don't like cold. Up here in the great white north I will need to be able to kickstart it before the battery will operate properly. Research Lithium battery's and you'll understand what I'm getting at.

I guess it comes down to who you believe in. I'm continually impressed with the passion that GasGas North America puts into the brand. Back that up with the passion of the factory and HQ in Spain and KYB suspension. I'll be spending the extra few $$ for a Gasser. Kickstarter included.
Holeshots you say. As much as I love having a kicker on my Beta I never once used it at a XC. If you need a better start than this I don't know what to tell you. The KYB shock is no better than the Sachs and I have lots of both apart. The KYB forks are no question going to be better out of the box than the Sachs.
If you are into knowing a company before you buy, I think the history of Beta will surprise you. I have an 11 Gasser also and it's a great bike but not better than the Beta. The 18 looks great and I'm sure it's going to be excellent but it has to stack up against some pretty good competition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11258033_10152685979786486_7791231174962947916_n.jpg (128.1 KB, 36 views)