View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 02:09 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Crank failure modes

Ok so tried out my new carb yesterday. Everything going peachy for 10-15 minutes and then it stalled at the top of a hill. Almost felt like it nipped up.

Little hard to push on lever maybe. . But started right up went for a while seemed ok but sometimes felt like it was dragging. Stalled down a hill, then again, got over small creek and it didn't sound right so I stopped it. Took rad cap off and a bit of water spurt like it was real hot.

Got a lift back.

Hmm, so took stator off, no dragging, water pump, clutch, no signs of mechanical distress.
Barrel off, top end not nipped up, piston and head the right colour.

Rod has no axial play and no perceptible rock in the mains. Spinning it over with the small end is seems to run smooth but, well maybe sounds a little whiney.

On my road race bikes I've blown a lot of cranks in 27 years, especially at the start using 2nd hand bits until I learnt to use quality parts, but it was always obvious if it were mains or bigend. And usually at 12,000 RPM.

There was a reasonable amount of oily mix when you spin it, but then it was loaded on its side on the way back and there is always residue.

So has anyone seen a slow failure where the bearings start to seize up when hot? I think one side bearing is not std roller type.
Just bizarre, always thought the violence of an engine would just create havoc every time.

I feel I'm missing something.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)