View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I had something similar with my XC 200. I was on a trail ride with friends in another state. We came to this steep hill on the trail, the kind that everyone waits at the top to make sure everyone after you makes it up.

I hit it hard with the 200 and made it up just fine. After we got the last guy up, I went to fire up the bike and kick lever was locked solid. (Bike had been running fine all day.) I put the bike in top gear and rocked it back & forth , engine finally freed up and i was able to start it. It sounded like the crankshaft wanted to fly out of the cases, but I had no choice but to ride it out of the woods.

I just held a fast idle and using a lot of clutching, managed to ride about 5 trail miles back to the truck.

Upon disassembly , I found that the mag side crank bearing had lost the cage that holds the ball bearings in place. It must have wedged it's self between the crank & the cases and I freed it up by rocking it back & forth.

The crank, including the big end bearing was fine as were the cases, they did have some gouges but were still usable.

New crank bearings, gaskets, seals, new piston kit ,etc and it was good as new.

The 200 has ball bearings on both sides, unlike the 250/300.

RB

Last edited by RBrider; 06-04-2018 at 07:28 AM. Reason: additional info