Thread: 300 or 250
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
Not just you. I've ridden quite a handful of 300s (KTMs of several years, Betas, Sherco, though oddly never a GG), and I still prefer my 250.

In my experiences, the 250 is more "flickable" (a.k.a. "feels" lighter), smoother, less buzzy, and has more "zip" than a 300, but in a much more linear, controllable way; it just feels less fatiguing to ride. That said, it doesn't make any less total power; I've had many drag races with buddies that have 300s, and none of them have been any significant amount faster or slower than my 250.

The 300s do seem to make just a bit more torque at the very bottom end of the rpm range. Many people like this, as it allows them to be lazier on the clutch. However, this is probably the biggest reason I like the 250 better. My 250 still makes a gracious plenty amount of low end torque, but it's just soft enough that, at a minimum, you have to cover and be ready to use the clutch at any time.

I am a HUGE proponent of learning how to properly use the clutch. Take, for example, lofting the front, or aiding your slow speed balance, or double-blipping, or pivot turning. The key to doing all those things, along with countless other enduro skills, is proper clutch control; the throttle is just secondary in those techniques. And I think that extra torque from a 300 makes the riders a little too "lazy" on the clutch, which hurts them in the long term when they don't know how to properly use it. The 250 'forces the issue' a little bit, thereby not really giving you a choice in whether or not to learn how to use it.

Of course, this is coming from my perspective of enduro / hard enduro. If all someone ever rides is doubletrack or flowy singletrack, then really knowing how to use the clutch doesn't really matter quite as much. The terrain you ride and your personal preference probably plays a bigger role in the choice as anything.
Totally agree! Well said..

Before I went down the 2T path I was on a 250F while many friends were doing the 450/500/575 big bore action. Same concepts in use.. The smaller engine with soft bottom end torque means that carrying momentum, using throttle and clutch to get the power you need when you need it, learning skills... compared to sticking it in 3rd and rolling on the throttle.

I'm no gun rider.. but I feel like I have learnt more because of it.