View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg3 View Post
Had a discussion with the auto electrician who had a look at my bike. They are as perplexed as we are. He load tested the new starter several times ,it spun up fast & plenty of torque. With the starter out, they turned the gear assembly with a screwdriver by hand & it rotates freely & easily. Put the starter back in & it does a half turn & locks up. After 2-3 goes gets very hot. With the plug out it cranks over with no issues. They are fairly sure the starter is ok. So now not sure where to look next.
I admit I am stumped because when I installed my friends OEM starter the problem was gone.
So I have now two possible problems

Either I have the 2018 blocking problem and that killed my starter when I tried to get the bike started. Or I had a problem with a knackered starter.
I'd prefer the latter but fear as soon as I have the new starter installed the problem will be back. Though it worked fine with my mates starter

Maybe you have heard that Rieju still assembles "our" GasGas model under the new name Rieju. I asked a dealer in Germany what they had changed except from the new plastics and stickers. And he said they changed the starter motor and allegedly it comes now from a Japanese company called MITSUBA. Unfortunately we don't know if the other internals (pinions, shafts) are still the same.
Till today I was unable to get a Rieju Spare Parts Manual.