View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 10:14 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
I had the same bike basically, I settled on a 42/45 pilot N3EG needle #2 clip with a 175/178 main. Idled forever clean crisp and never fouled a plug.
Difference on forum advice versus here is we are all/were owners and have done all the research for you. Do not even bother starting with stock jetting. It is hideous.
Stock was:
38 pilot
#7 slide
N1ED
178 main jet

We had a dealership from 1997 through 2006, and struggled with getting the engines to run smoothly everywhere in the rev ranges with the stock jetting. The bikes ran like a bat out of hell on top, but they were set up for the expert level racers who always ran their bikes WFO.

The settings in the previous post (quoted above) is almost exactly what I ran on my 2006 DE300 (EC300) before I tried any of the Yamaha or Suzuki needles. The N1EG was the only N1E* series jet needle that worked well like that for us.

Here are my settings on the AS1 up to 4000' elevation.
N1EG with the clip in the second groove from the top,
#7 slide,
42 pilot
178 main jet.
I got a bit of spooge, but it idled well until it got very hot (after an hour working trails in 95F + temperatures).
If I was going to be racing in cool weather ( <60F) on a course with long straights, I would go up to a 180 or larger main jet.

I have since tried the optional Yamaha YZ250 and Suzuki RM250 jet needles (NEDJ, NECW, and a few more), and found them to be more easily adjusted for idling, power characteristics, and personalization of power delivery as the power transitions from low end to mid-range.
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/