Thread: Oil pump??
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
Ohh, that sounds bad..

I have not had the need to tear down my engine yet, so I am not an authority in these issues. I suggest you retrace your efforts using the workshop manual http://www.gasgas.es/rcs/manuales/pd..._fse05_eng.zip
to find out if you might have done something to obstruct oil flow. Does your '05 have an oil pressure warning light?

Looking in detail in the workshop manual (p 28-) one can see that the oil pressure pump is driven by an intermediate gear from the clutch basket. If your clutch basket gear did not properly align with the intermediate gear, you most likely damaged/bent the intermediate gear or the shaft for the same when you installed your clutch. That would lead to poor oil pump drive and eventually lead to the problems you've just described.
Hope it's not too bad, but by the details of your description it sounds expensive...
Yes, it does have an oil light and it did come on, but not until I was well into my ride, I forgot to mention this before.

So the oil pump IS driven off a gear from the clutch basket, I guess I don't understand what went wrong. I simply set the basket on the shaft, nothing funny there, then installed the nut, it seemed nit picky at the time, but I could have sworn that the basket wasn't down all the way. I figured when I got my clutch all together that if it rubbed on the clutch cover that something is wrong. When it was all complete, the cover went on and the basket didn't seem to high any more. Besides, I rode it a full day and it ran perfectly.
I'll take the clutch out again and see if anything is wrong when I get the time, hopefully soon.
Thanks guys...