View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 AM

Default 2005 EC 250/300 Kicker trouble

IT JUST DOESNT FEEL RIGHT !!

When I try to start it up, the kicker seems to miss the first half of the stroke (most of the time), only engaging on the last half to third of a stroke. As it is missing the first half of a stroke, it feels like its catching a little where it should be engaging.

A couple of times it seemed to actualy bind, and then abruptly release, crashing to the bottom of the stroke (hurting the instep if my foot).

A couple of (other times) the kick starter engaged at the top part of the stroke (like it should) and worked smoothly to turn the motor over (like it should), and fired the bike up (like it should).

Besides all of that, the bike runs great. I am very thrilled with this machine.

I think I could fix it, but it will require me to take the right side cover off the engine. It looks like I will wind up removing the water pump cover, impeller and seal in the process. I also expect to need a new gasket/O-ring for the right case cover (or are those sealed with RTV?) and water pump cover. I have no real idea of what the innerds of that kicker look like or how it functions, but it seems to be some sort of ratchetting mechanism. I also think I will need to replace the seal that goes around that kick starter shaft.

What Parts will I need ?

Besides: Water pump cover gasket, water pump seal, Kicker shaft seal, and right side case gasket.

Will I need any special tools ?

Such as: Seal puller/installer, Spring holder/compresser, Gear puller, or ANY OTHER less than common tool I havent thought of.
I have a lot of tools, and always love an excuse to buy more. I just need a complete parts list and the right tools to do the job.

Dave