View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
These are the ones I like if you want bleeders. Very low profile and well sealed. Use the ones for KTM in black. 4mm thread
I use these same ones on both my GG and Husky bikes. Before every ride, I give them a push and here the pssst... I love that sound.

Does it work? Yeah, it lets out the built up pressure. Any closed system (fixed volume) will increase pressure due to temperature increase. So you can relief the pressure throughout the ride very easily at rest stops.

Some folks say you have to put the bike on a stand then relieve pressure at full extension. I prefer to do it with the wheels on the ground under the bike weight (static sag). Then, I relieve the pressure to normalize the system.

The real question is can you "feel" a difference? Yes, I can tell when there is a bit more harshness with pressure built up. It is more noticeable on my Husky SM610 on the road (tar strips, frost heaves, etc.). The same applies to roots and rocks on my GG.

Another benefit is during transporting the bike. With the bike tied down, you can relieve the pressure and minimize seal leakage concerns. I do this only on long trips if the bike would be tied down all day traveling. NOTE: don't forget to equalize the pressure before riding or you risk cavatation of the oil (due to pulling a vacuum during fork travel).