View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 AM

Default My experience with damper towers on three GGs

lordfeyr,

I hate to say this but I suspect that setup will cause you problems for two reasons.

First, that is the old style tower clamp, its actually a YZ part that happens to fit the GasGas steering head, but the clamp area is inadequate IMO. It slips and moves. You can't tighten it enough due to the thin cross section and M5 hardware. I broke two of these from fatigue failure.

Second, those bar risers greatly aggrevate the situation, making the tower taller and placing a lot more leverage on it. You also have to be sure that the pin has enough bearing area in the tower itself, and seeing how far it is adjusted I doubt this.

BRP/Scotts has a secong gen GasGas specific tower that is better, but not perfect either. It clamps tight enough and does not slip but I have bent two of them from the forces of the high speed ckt in the damper tripping on rock hit deflections.

In an attempt to cure this, I went to a submount and shortened the tower, for increased rigidity and strength. I HATED the tall bar position, so I went back to a top mount with my own design tower.

The problem with the GG tower design is its based on the standard damper arm offset (distance from center). This does not allow for a full length post of adequate strength. Look at both towers and you'll see what I mean. I designed and had made what I call my "long arm tower". Its based on a damper arm with a +10mm offset. This allows a much stiffer 15mm OD post on a larger, thicker base welded to the clamp ring. It has completely solved my problems and does not slip or flex at all.

Since this is likely more than you want to do, the next best thing would be to get the newer BRP tower, and weld a stiffener section on the rear side.

FYI, to use the OEM vent in the frame, get a 90 deg M6 grease fiitting and drill out the end to remove the ball and spring. I use this for my trans PV vent.