View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 AM

As a fellow beginner let me give you my experience. I started riding dirt bikes when I was 23. I'm 26 now and didn't really have much opportunity to ride the first couple of years so I'd say my riding ability is that of a newbie with 1 to 2 good seasons under my belt. I'm 6'0" 160lbs.

I started with a 98 KTM 250EXC. This was probably a mistake. Too much power for me starting out. Coming from snowmobiles it took me a while to get used to a twist throttle. Whiskey throttle on a 250 in the woods = bad news. Last year I bought an 05 DE200 w/ Ohlins suspension after reading all the great things about Gas Gas chassis and suspension. My first ride on my 200 and I knew I had found the right bike for me. I wish I had started on a 200. It has plenty of power, especially for the tight woods I ride in, but it doesn't kick your teeth in if you make a mistake either.

I usually ride my bike a gear high and kind of lug it, especially since I installed a rekluse auto clutch. It's got a fair amount of low end power which is improved by the LTR power valve cover, Boysen reeds, and FMF pipe which came with my bike.

I love the bike because I can ride it anyway I want. Lug it out of a rocky gully, or snap it out of a sandy corner on the pipe, it loves it all! It's right in the middle of the 125 and 250/300 power types. Its the Goldilocks bike. Maybe that's why they're yellow.