View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggstr6 View Post
can you go by the plug color even with out a throttle chop?

Right now it has a 42 pilot & 180 main ,thats why I was wondering about a 40 & maybe a 178 or 175.
I don't think you'll get an accurate reading off the plug, but it may tell you something if it's way off, black and suitty, too rich or pinging if it's lean.

On low speed throttle positions I go by feel...I start on the rich side and lean it out until I feel that I'm in the zone with the PJ.
you'll know your going in the right direction if you feel the throttle become crisper and cleaner...too far and it'll start to ping
Once your close with with the PJ you can fine tune it with the air screw.

Working on the mid to 3/4 throttle positions, start with the needle clip positions...since you think it's too rich work the clip up with test rides between adjustments.
If you top out on the clip and still think it's on the rich side, try a leaner jet...clip in the middle and work the clip upward again.
So you can see a method thru testing.
I like to do plug chops because I want to know right away if the jetting is too rich or too lean before I start the above process.
I can usually figure out what changes to make by plug color and then compare that against how the power feels and current carb settings.
Once you've been in and out of your carb 1/2 dozen times you'll be able too as well.

Just as a note, I run my jetting a little on the rich side for better slow speed cooling...most of the riding I do is tech single track
Hope that helped some.