View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
While there are those who ride with no suspension or just a front suspension or even the torture of single speed I'm not one of them and I say get a bike with dual suspension. Especially since you live in the land of rocks and roots.

I would say a minimum of $1,000 for a new bike on blowout or a somewhat decent used bike. $1,500 starts to get you into a better sweet spot especially in the used market. For example, my bike and my sons bike are $3,000 dollar bikes new but we both picked them up used in like new pristine condition for $1,500 each. Of course I have dumped a fair amount more into mine. $1,500-$2,000 you can get a pretty nice new bike and a dam fine used one. Then it just goes up from there to crazy money. So many good used bikes out there that have been ridden very little and plenty of good leftovers also. No need to go latest and greatest unless you have money to burn.
Agreed. I almost made the mistake of making my decision based on year model, instead of components. Just because its a year newer, doesn't mean its better as I found out. Good thing my advisor took a look at the spec sheets before I pulled the trigger.

My last bike (Trek 950) had front suspension with a hard tail and I liked it but... I've aged some since then! My back simply can't take the beating, so full suspension was a must. Guess for now, the old Trek will get setup on the wind trainer and I'll use it as a stationary bike.

Good grief...will it ever quit snowing so I can ride?