View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Yep this is finally the end!

The transition of the transponder between Bret and Troy went off without a hitch and Troy took off with a sizable deficit of roughly 3 ½ minutes to make up. His first lap he was on a rail and pushed hard. We all knew it as everyone took turns running over to the leader board. That’s when I realized I would be called on for the final lap of the race after Troy’s 2nd one was completed. I nervously waited hoping he would close the gap. Knowing valuable time would be wasted when we did the bike and transponder change every second would be precious. Needing to fuel up the bike and get one racer off and the other on, and comfortable, would eat some time. Troy made up 2 minutes on that first lap putting us down by only about 1 ½ minutes from first place. I thought to my self come on close the gap more Troy, come on! The team we had been battling with for hours DISCOUNT CONTRACTORS was their name, were great sports, guys with real sportsmanship. Their pit was only a couple spots down from ours so we conversed back and forth through out the event as things unfolded. Their captain came over and visited for a few minutes while Troy was out on the course. This is the guy I would be racing against. How Fitting, captains hashing it out for the two teams. Their team’s captain waited anxiously perched on his bike ready to go. While I stood waiting to see who I would see coming down pit row first Troy or their guy, the pressure built as I thought about coming up short and letting the team down. Then here he came, the rival racer. They make the hand off and their captain was off. Seconds seemed like hours and minutes seemed like days as I waited for that first sight of Troy coming down pit lane on my bike. Troy’s second lap would end up being only a few seconds slower than his first lap. And the rival team racers lap was quicker than Troy’s by a few seconds.

I hear someone yell “HERE HE COMES!” And our pit comes to life everyone doing their part to get me out as fast as possible. Troy jumps off the bike and I jump on, as the transponder is exchanged and the bike is refueled. And I’m off heading down pit row down by around 2 minutes and stuck doing 5 MPH! You can’t imagine the sheer torture of this, restraining yourself when you need to make up time. Onto the course Go! Instant concentration, I bet I didn’t blink more than once a minute for that whole Lap. You know that tunnel vision you get when you’re focused on an objective, that 30 yard stare? I must say I don’t remember much of that first few miles of that lap. I do remember telling my self over and over “YOU CAN DO IT! KEEP IT UP!” As I pushed myself as hard as I dare through the violent terrain hoping to get a glimpse of the leader. At the seven mile mark is the first of 2 transponder reader board checks. I anticipated the team would be there, and they were. As I came in they cheered and clapped loud. Wait a minute? There is the first place team members watching also, and there cheering for me too. It gave me new life, a new drive, a second wind, or whatever you want to call it. In that first 7 miles I ended up closing the gap by a minute!

I took of with authority out of the check not knowing that I made up that much, if any time. This was my favorite portion of grass track Super fast 5th and 6th gear straights with 4th gear sweepers and Manageable dust with Velcro traction. I continued riding smart avoiding as much race course nasties as I could. A mile or so later I noticed the dust in the air was getting heavier. Could it be the leader? The dust increasing as I crest the ridge, around the corner, damn! It’s not him just a lapper.

With the question “Can I catch this guy” constantly entering my mind, and the pounding I was taking, I pushed on. Then I saw him! He was 2 straights and a 2 turns away. I knew it was him, no doubt. I had been sizing him up, his Honda CRF 450 too. Cause I needed to know who I was chasing. This is it, now or never! GO! The gap slowly tightened as the dust increased, being kicked up from his tires. As I pursue him up a large rolling hill, he vanishes over the top. I crest the hill there he is heading down the other side. I realize he don’t know I’m coming. He’s resting? Shaking his hands like he has arm pump or something, as he rides along. I think to my self, what is he doing? Maybe he is trying to save himself and thinks by the time I catch him, or if I even can, he will still have something in his tank and I will be spent. Closing the gap through the gully and now up the other side eating dust the entire stretch, I knew the 2 track farm road straight away was at the top of the hill that we were both ascending. Hoping I would catch him napping I got close. I went hard into the left hander, onto the farm road. He took the right side wheel track of the road and I took the left. As we both straightened out an unreal thing happened, it almost seemed like a dream. I couldn’t have choreographed it any better. He stuck his hand out to wave me by, thinking I was in an other class or something. I grabbed a handful of throttle and another gear in shock and obliged him! As I pulled up next to him he looked over at me as I looked at him. We made eye contact. I read it in his eyes. SHIT!!! that’s the guy, the team I’m racing against, #122E. He instantly hunkered down and tried to drag race my 300, but it was too late! I was already on the pipe and banging the gears, he’d been had! We both knew at the end of this long 6th gear straight that there was a hard left. He backed off, hoping that I would under estimate my braking power, but I didn’t. I took the corner inside out using all off the course. I started to gap him as my dust was like a smoke screen dulling his sight. We then started getting into some lappers, as I made it by them; the extra dust from their machines slowed him more. It felt so good to charge down the last straightaway with everyone cheering. Scott waving me to slow down as I entered the transponder reader board check point. There it was up in lights the reader board said it all. CLASS WINNERS!

I rolled back to the pits with an ear to ear grin to celebrate what we all accomplished. Everyone was excited smiling and laughing when I rolled in. Shortly there after the Rival team’s captain pulled up and congratulated us and we all talked for awhile. After 25 hours CFMC ENDURO NUTZ finished with 31 laps. 27th overall out of 82 teams. The margin of victory between 1st and 2nd in our class (30+amature) ended up being only 35 Seconds.

With the victory in hand we braved the harsh wind and waited for awards. We proudly accepted our team trophy and our individual plaques. Then we also were given sweet Enduro jackets. How fitting for a team named CFMC ENDURO NUTZ!

Oh, and Will ended up winning a $400 + dollar Night Rider Helmet light set on the sign up raffle! Score!

But in the end the best thing won was the friendship and camaraderie felt by all. I will remember this for a life time. This Race will always have a special place in my heart and memories. Thanks again CFMC ENDURO NUTZ # 1

I hope you enjoyed my write up, I enjoyed reliving it!
Roscoe REVERUP Rainey

Me and the captain of team DISCOUNT CONTRACTORS after the race

CFMC ENDURO NUTZ 2006 with our loot