Thread: clutch squeel
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 PM

These OEM Gas Gas clutches are the most durable OEM clutches put in a dirt bike, and who knows, that may contribute to the noise, it may be a harder friction material than others. If thats the case I will certainly live with a little noise once in a while in exchange for durability.

Roscoe[/QUOTE]
+1
In the case of brake pads and friction materials my experience has been that the more durable the material the more likely it is to make noise.(accept for asbestos which has pretty much been banned) I think this is more of a USA thing to expect that everything should be perfectly smooth and quiet. It seems that Europeans expect brakes to make a little noise now and then. The best two factory automobile brake materials are Honda and Mercedes which I have found are also the most likely to make noise. So what has this got to do with a clutch you ask? The point I'm trying to make is if you consider what you are asking of your clutch do you really expect it to be perfectly quiet, not get hot, have smooth engagement and last forever? BTW I have read threads on the KTM forum from riders asking about their clutch making noise so it's not just a Gas Gas thing.

Bottom line; I'll trade some noise in exchange for longevity and smooth operation anytime.