View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Bike won't start - suggestions please.

A bit of history.

The bike had a crank seal go and was rebuilt over xmas. The first race this year the bike did not want to start in the garage.

Tried the usual fresh fuel, plugs cleaned the bottom of the carb out. Eventually got it to run. Went to the race and was very reluctant to start, spent 10mins kicking it in the paddock and after several new plugs it ran. For the start of the race with the bike warm it startted 1st or 2nd kick, rode great back to how I remember it - carburated nicely. Then I stall it or it stalled and I could not retart it after about 1/2 to 3/4 hour of running. After 1/2 an hour trying to restart it no luck so I DNF'd

Now back home still no luck, took the carb off to clean it there was some muck in the bottom of the bowl. Re-assembled and all I can get is an occasional misfire, backfire or burning in the exhaust or something, very strange. With the choke on I get nothing but without the choke I get these misfires or whatever they are.

I've now cleaned the carb 3x and gone through loads of plugs, tried fresh fuel again which made no difference.

Looked in the stator cover and everything looks OK - It's almost like the timing was out or something but there's nothing to move in there I don't think.

Could something have gone wrong after it's been rebuilt, maybe lasted OK for that 1/2 hour in the race then give out?

Or maybe because it's been stood for a while there's a problem?

There was a bit of green dry looking residue on some of the parts in teh float bowl of the carb I assume from the morris 2 stroke mix I'd been using which I think was green.

I changed the pilot for a richer one but that's made no difference either.

The plugs are coming out wet after many attempt at starting so at least some fuel is getting through.

Any suggestions?
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)