View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 04:01 AM

Default motor power-total dealer confusion

greetings
New to this site because i really like the ec 300, even though I've never even seen one. I have a '95 CR500 that i just had ported , but I can't ride when it's wet. I've been living in Ga, and something came up where i had to spend a lot of time in Houston, and i bought a KTM 300xcw in houston. I never fully got a chance to check out the KTM power because I never finished jetting it before i found out they sold me a used bike they passed off as new. A friend of the dealer or manager had seized the motor right after he bought it, they changed the title,they put a new piston in it and a light hone job and sold it to me for full price as new, not realizing I wasn't as sick as they thought and I know more about motors than their whole dealership. I contacted TV station guy, supposed to get money back tomorrow(This jackass on KTMtalk got reallymad because I let the TV news guy get my money in 20 min instead of letting him post the name on his "bad dealer board" which would have done nothing to get my money with this dealer.He goes by "ruderooster". I wanna call him "ruderoostersucker". Maybe he'll read this forum ) Anyway, the KTM was fast even without proper jetting. Real linear, but I never changed to the aggressive power valve spring. I like snap and whealies and the KTM has the power valve spring that you can change. I hated the handling, but some love it. Just feels mushy with lots of understeer and no feel for the terrain.
OK, sorry about the life story. Imagine buying a "new" used bike with a rigged cylinder for 6800 and the dealer denies everything and acts like he might not even fix it under warranty. Anyway, every GG dealer i talk to gives me a different story on the ec300. I'm sold on the suspension, so that's no problem. I want the duel ignition switch, and a light flywheel. several dealers said they never heard of the switch and they have 06's on their lot, one said he heard of the switch, but it only came on the dealer version, one said all 06's are dealer version's now and have the light flywheels and switches. Some told me the GG had more "snap" than the ktm at low rpm, one said the gg had the "2 stroke" hit more like a motocrosser than the ktm, one said the gg was so much more linear than the ktm, it was like an electric motor, and one confused me with details of changing models because of changing restrictions, but now all 06's were the same with the heavy flywheel, and one told me everything he thought i wanted to hear.
I'm sure it's fast, but I like a strong mid hit that lets you run through the gears in an open area without the front wheel ever touching the ground. Maybe that's a lot to ask on a 300, but if the it is even close, i could probably live with it. I'll never consider another KTM. I should consider myself lucky i was ripped off, because it gave me a chance to see how crappy the rear suspension setup is. If I don't get the GG, I want the ATK 700 intimidator. $10,000 is a lot and I think parts are high. I thought about the service honda cr500af for $10k, but I already have almost the same bike. I really want the GG, but I haven't even seen one yet. Can somebody clue me in?
Matt