Thread: RB Carb Mod
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I rode Jimmy's (aka magellan) bike over the memorial day holiday. It had one of Ron's modified carbs on it. The bike ran and carburated very, very well.

It transitioned from one circuit to another very cleanly... I am very, very picky and sensitive and like things to be totally "dialed in". I ran it up and down a logging road a couple of times and I noticed a couple of things that I didn't expect. The first is that it pulled into the mid-range very strongly and then transitioned from there into the top end strongly. I had ridden Jimmy's bike before and it used to start to sign off as you went into the top end - I previously attributed this to the pipe and port timing (I had an '01 and he has an '04). Now the bike accellerates cleanly all the way through and it is very fast. And I mean feel of a very constant acceleration in your gut fast - not burst, uncontrollable hit of power that makes people think a bike is fast when it isn't ...

I am not a big believer in "power now" devices (divider plates), etc. But I think the combination of things that Ron does all work together in an extremely efficient package.

1. I felt a stronger transition and smoother acceleration off the lower mid to the upper mid - I attribute this to the divider plate installation. But it is more linear power delivery through this transition - so it "puts it to the ground" in a very efficient way (you go fast, quickly and it does not surge or yank).
2. The bike rev'ed on top like it didn't before - I attribute this to the boring of the carb to 39mm. I was surprised at how noticable this is, I didn't expect it to be as noticable as it was. I attribute this to two things working together - the divider plate + the 39mm bore. It pulls into the top end strongly due to the divider plate and once you "get up there" - it pulls longer due to the increase in bore size.
3. The bike started very easily and this was with the old short oem kickstarter that I despise (I had a yamaha kicker on mine). I didn't really work the bottom, off-idle transition - Because on the logging road, it just "got up and went" and I was quickly mid to top... It "revs freely".

I can't comment on the ease of adjustability that this carb mod also provides. Jimmy said it was very easy to tweak in the air screw - the carb block mods that Ron makes adds sensitivity and adjustability. Jimmy also had a nifty air screw adjustment knob mounted on the carb that Ron machines up for the pwk - it makes the air screw adjustment a tool-free affair for trail side adjustment, etc. Here is a link to this little doo-dad on his website.

jeff