View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
A basic understanding of flow dynamics is essential when you really get into it. Thats why most of the top suspension guys are sharp, technical people. They don't earn their money pulling stuff apart and swapping shims, its all in the anaylsis of the setup, requirements of the rider, and fine tuned by experience. Its fun to play with and learn, but you will have that fork apart a lot before you get where you want to be. Good thing its easy to work on.
I (being an engineer myself) have often wondered if the suspension experts actually calculate the shim stacks or use their experience + academic training to come to an "educated guess" of what to put in. (i have seen that quite a few of the tuners mention that they have a degree in mechanical engineering)

I have cme to the conclusion that since the terrain we ride is so varied it comes dwn more to the educated guess option than to number crunching on a pad of paper!