View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My last GG was a '99 EC250 with the WP 50mm conventionals. They were incredible, and at slow speeds, or going over ripples in the ground, or roots, they were really nice, they even handled the big hits well, and did not flex. They also did not hang below the axle very far, not much more than my 300 that I replaced that bike with that has the Ohlins on it. The Ohlins have no equal. They, and the shock have been revalved by Les at LTR, and they are awesome. Better than the WP conventionals, especially as you increase your speed. This bike goes straighter over hammered terrain than any bike I've ever owned, well, check that, my Husky WR 400 was just as stable, but didn't have near the turning prowess, and wasn't even in the same century as far as boingers.
I am a big advocate of those WP conventionals, but I have one complaint in overall function, and it is small. The conventional design really should be used with some kind of fork boot, or fork skin to protect the sealing surface from caking up with junk. The problem with that is the fork bood actually affects suspension performance. When I took off the fork sliders and put on the fork boots (not cheap junk either). I had to spend significant time dialing the clickers back to where I wanted the suspension to work. A great fork, and if I could get a bike for $1000 cheaper with that fork on it, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but since it's not an option, and the Ohlins is the best fork in the business, I'd say relish in the fact that Gas Gas offers it as an option.

You know, as I'm writing this, I remember what a good bike that '99 was to ride. It's too bad bikes wear out, and people are so fickle when it comes to having the latest stuff, including me. I need a 2008 GG, TM, and Husky, and a new toy hauler, and a new 1 ton truck that rides like a car and gets 100 miles to the gallon.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 09-10-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Mixed up words