View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I don't think my setup problems are rebound related.
Don't be so sure about that, especially with stiffer springs. Its tough to properly analyze a problem in a race, you have to do it in more controlled conditions. Stock rebound stack is too light even for stock springs.

Exactly what do you have in the bike now (springs/valving/oil/oil height) that works (or doesn't work) as you describe?

Dave had some very good points. Les valved my bike and it worked great but tweaked like Dave's it worked even better. I ran one of the nastiest, most rocky enduros last Sunday. Big technical rocks in 1st/2nd, faster rocks in 3rd/4th, and everything in between. The bike worked fantastic, I didn't feel beat up at all at the finnish. The fork did not deflect at all, and the only time the bike went off line is when a loose rock was hit and moved. By comparison, my KTM300 riding buddy was totally wasted. My 250 is a lot lighter and the valving stiffer, and its the best suspended bike I've ever had for the rocks. Even stock it was good and did not deflect badly as you describe.

That 450 should eat rocks, and feel even more planted than my 250 due to its weight, thats the advantage of a big 4-stroke you get for the other trade offs. Even your stock valving should not perform that bad. You have a problem, but I doubt its the base valving thats extremely far off.

How tight do you torque your lower triple clamps? DO NOT go by the manual. MUCH less, about 10 - 12 Nm with the bolts anti-seized.