View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Default Walker Valley Entertainment

I've looked forward to the long drive up to The Walker Valley for months. I finally decided to suck it up & go. As I geared up & prepared to to leave the staging area, a neighboring rider was quizzing me...ability, attitude, knowledge of the area, etc. Upon passing the exam, I was invited to join a group of locals. 10 riders in all, and everyone is friendly, having been gracious enough to invite me along. A farely wide range of ability in rider skills, but everyone seems willing to work, to make sure everyone makes it through in one piece. The trail leader assessed the group & decides we're ok to tackle the "good" stuff. This area is not very big, in terms of mileage. However, the technical sections of single-track are brutal. 20 mi of single-track here, could easily equate 35-40 mi of single-track at my home base in Tahuya(in terms of time & fatigue). I also found out the hard way, why trials tires ARE the prefered traction device here. It was a fanatastic day of riding. I didn't want to waste such a long trip, so I joined a second group after my previous group loaded up and went home. Almost all the trails & then some, that I had ridden earlier, I was now riding the opposite direction. This is a real game changer, as a lot of the trails are much easier(however difficult) in a single direction. I was so tired upon return to the staging area, that I managed to stall my bike within eyesight of my truck. I didn't even try to kick it over. I just pushed it the last 200 ft. On the way home, I stopped at a nearby "Rest Area" for a nap. Today, I am sore as hell(but grinning from ear to ear). I shot about 12 gigs of standard resolution video. I really didn't feel like editing any at this point, so I uploaded this clip, for some entertainment. It really ends at 3:42 but I forgot to turn it off(in my excitement).

http://youtu.be/E7svFBLaPWA