Thread: '12 Shroud Fix
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks guys. I'm not a fan of Dzus fasteners, every experience on a KTM or GG (airbox) has been poor and replaced with a bolt eventually. Plus, the isolators have an M6 female thread. Stainless buttonheads are reliable, and the way the isolators are molded, the bolt threads contact the rubber somewhat, so no loctite needed.

Sure, you can bolt the shroud directly to the rad frame in a number of places, and that is a good field fix. The thickness of the OEM standoffs where they come off the back of the shroud is little more than mold flashing, and I can't see them surviving long. I tried to keep the same geometry/look and add resilience. The slight tension of the isolators actually tends to pull and tuck the shroud leading edges in slightly, which is good. What else I found, is that to remove the tank, all you now need to do is remove the three screws on each side up top. The tension will pull the shroud clear of the tank. its in one of the pics.

nato,

My bike came with a complete second set of "XC" graphics in a bag, so hopefully new plastic will be the same pattern. The plastic needs to be a little thicker IMO in addition to the connection point change. I'd like to see a complete redesign of the mounting but don't expect it, so I'm figuring on doing what I just did anyway. FWIW, my '07 has the original shrouds mounted like this.