Thread: Jetting ?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM

OK, I'm in NJ, and have jetted several of my 250s with AS1 carbs, including my new '12. First make sure the bike is sound. Good reeds, seals, PV opening correctly, compression, etc. Float level is correct. Slide should be #7, if by chance it is not, get one, a #6 will make things difficult. Next, forget about spooge, especially if you run a spark arrestor and double that if its a Stealth spooge trap. We jet the 250 by feel for torque, period. They like to be on the rich side for max torque, and WILL spooge. Also, much of the information here is relative to the newer AS2 carbs that tend to prefer much leaner jetting. IMO, the NEDW will be too lean, so don't rush out and order one. My experience with needles of the same straight diameter tell me this. Even the CCK is borderline in some 250s, and from my experience the AS1 equipped 250s prefer the richer D taper needles like a DDK or DEK. For the main, 180 should not be too rich with a fat tip needle like these. You could be flat on top from being slightly lean, not rich. I have gone as high as a 185 main and still had good top end. The best needle I have found for the 250 for our conditions is the JD Blue. Expensive kit but it really works well and makes great power throughout the range. You can start with a DDK and DEK (one half clip range apart) and get it very close.

Try this:
45 pilot
DDK #3
182 main
air screw 1.5 turns

DEK #3 is a half clip leaner, DEK #4 a half clip richer for fine tuning.
Go up on the main until it obviously rich and back down two sizes and you should be there. If you can get it pretty good like this, the JD Blue will drop in in clip #3 or #4 and it will be perfect.