View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 PM

I'm looking for a good front tire for a heavy DRZ with a big tank and sometimes loaded with camping gear. All the usual tires that work well on lighter bikes shed side knobs in rocks on the DRZ. It weighs about 310lbs full of gas with an extra heavy tube and tire tools on the front fender and a tool bag on back. And my fat butt weighs 220 or so. Most tires I've used keep the middle knobs ok but the side ones tear off in just a few rides. High air pressure helps but doesn't stop the problem, and the front won't stick.

I've tried all of the following: Michelin S and M 12s, and Starcross. Dunlop soft and intermediates. Sakura Dirt Shark, (which actually lasted the longest, but still chunked). Maxxis IT. Bridgestone intermediates. Probably a few others I've forgotten.

Pretty much ANY tire with small widely spaced knobs goes quick. One that lasts pretty good is a cheap old Cheng Shin! But it can't chunk knobs because it never hooks up! It's always sliding and skipping around so there is no chance for it to tear a knob.

I wonder what the GasGas Rally guys use?