View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 04:03 PM

Default Mitaka Alloy Clutch Basket

My stock Suzuki clutch basket is on the left and the Mitaka clutch basket is on the right. My stock basket was in very good shape but the stock basket cushions had play in them. The Mitaka basket is supposed to be stronger than stock. Disassembly of the stock basket was very simple, just use a drill bit to grind the head off the rivets holding the retaining plate, then pry the ring gear off with a screwdriver and push out the cushions by hand.

The stock cushions have a metal ring around each cushion.

The new cushions do not have the metal ring around the cushions. The new cushions fit very tightly on the ring gear. I applied a light amount of assembly lube on the cushions because that is what Rekluse reccomends per their clutch baskets, and the Mitaka instructions did not address this step. Then just press the ring gear onto the basket by hand making sure that everything is level and tight against the clutch basket. Unlike a CR 250, you do not need a press to remove and install the ring gear and you do not need to freeze or heat the ring gear for disassembly/assembly.

I tightened the supplied retaining plate bolts to 80 inch pounds which is about 6.6 foot pounds as required by the Mitaka instructions using blue loctite. I would recommend being very careful on this step because it would be very easy to overtighten these bolts and break them.

Rekluse recommends peening the retainer bolts but the Mitaka bolts do not pass completely through the basket so I could not peen them.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar