View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG221 View Post
Just wanted to update that I fixed my starter problem. The issue was the bendix cover. It is very easy fix, the only thing you will need to buy is the bendix cover gasket and flywheel cover gasket. When you remove the covers the gaskets are going to fall apart.
- pull your bendix and bendix cover off and remove the bendix assembly. With the bendix out, stick the bendix onto the cover and you can see that it is a very tight fit. It should not be this tight. It is so tight that it is not allowing the bendix shaft to rotate. It needs to be able to rotate freely. I used toothpaste and a Dremel with a polishing wheel on it and polished the inside of the bendix cover where the bendix shaft sits. Toothpaste works great because of the abrasives inside it, but it will not take away too much of the material from the metal. If you don?t have a dremel you could use your finger and a rag and run around inside the hole in the bendix cover, it will just take a little longer. After I finished polishing the cover I went to fit the bendix back in the cover and it slides in effortlessly and spins freely. I put a tiny bit of grease in there and around the gears and put everything back together. The bike now starts instantly first stab of the button, even in gear.
Do you have any photo's of the process?

Well done on figuring it out!