View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 07:37 AM

The fact is ethanol is less efficient as a fuel and you will pay at the pump in one way or another. Either by increased crude prices for petroleum fuel or from using more ethanol based fuel to do the same amount of work. Does anyone really think that a high ratio ethanol blend will be cost adjusted at the pump to offset the lower energy content? I'll beleive that when I see it. We will end up paying the same for an inferior fuel that has other negative points, at least in current vehicles. Remember MTBE as an oxygenate a few years back? It was a great thing to reduce emmisions, that is until it was found in groundwater. Did the MTBE producers get a bailout?

Perhaps it would be better to research the possibility of using it as a home heating fuel, particularly in the midwest areas local to the source. Seems like it would be a lot less work to develop an ethanol heating system and a lot less overhead in handling and transporting the fuel. Maybe a good use for some of that bailout $$, right Obama?

Sorry, but this is premature and stinks of politics, not science. I agree with wanting to see the numbers for the big picture, not just partial data desirable by a special interest group.

Yes, please do use the petition link.

Last edited by GMP; 05-04-2009 at 12:00 PM.