Thread: Got Balls ??
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 PM

I live in the Northern Flinders of South Australia and we have nothing but rocks.
If I want to ride in sand I have to head for the beach.
Now I know that I am becoming a crusty old fart but all my rock riding over the last 35 years (started young on a bantam) has taught me that a combination of HEAVY tube, slime, low pressure and most importantly decent rim locks are the answer for rock riding. Back in the dark ages I used to do things like use a liner inside my tyre and fill the tyre with air, water and pepper. The pepper worked like a primitive slime. These days I just run a 6 ply tyre, Bridgestone UHD tube and 200ml of slime. The heavy tubes and slime means no pinch flats. Now that i got rid of the crappy GG rim locks and put my old Yam ones in, the tyres stay on the bike until they are worn out.
Low pressure is critical to get a bit of grip and 'feel' when your climbing around the side of a hill on a 6 inch wide goat track.
Tyres last about 1000k here, I've had my new pamp 400 for less than 4 months and I'm already on my 5th rear and second front.