View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

ok here we are after 5 cuts & measures. I should have taken some more heavy cuts at the start, but as I said; harder to put metal back on. Good thing I'm not charging myself for this.

This leaves me with 24.0cc measured on the bike so full stroke compression ratio of 13.3:1. This is still higher than my target but it got to my self imposed midnight curfew (any later in the garage & the wife starts to consider coming down to see I'm not trapped under a bike or anything).

I could run it like this on decent gas, but kickstarting might get slightly harder & it might take me another 3 years to get around to taking some more out.

I think I'll pull another cut & get to 13 or just under tonight. I ran a bit of sand paper in it but it cut quite nicely from the tool.

Pic 2(edit snafu, pic 1) shows how much metal has been removed. Its quite a bit, but simple math & measurement says we chopped out about a 2mm donut of space from the outer edges of the cylinder, it will take more out of a smaller circumferenced area to replace it.

You may note the un-radiused edge on the squishband edge. Conventional tuning wisdom tells us to remove that, but advice from the research of the uber tuners debunks that practice.

I might make a template (a finger of kneedit pushed into the chamber left to right & sectioned in 1/2) so I can do a friends one with little measuring if it turns out all right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GG EC300 cut 5 template.jpg (102.4 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg GG EC300 cut 5.jpg (79.1 KB, 380 views)