View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

This was posted on FaceBook.
Reposted with permission.

My buddy Chris Evans and his recent bad luck with a cracked clutch cover, served me as a good reminder to share this tip with everyone here. Regardless of the year model, check your rear brake pedal to see if you can get a little more clearnace between the pedal tip and case.

Before you start grinding though, start by simply loosening up the 2 allen bolts that attach the tip to the brake lever, push the tip away from the case, then re-tighten the bolts. Then you can see what you need to modify. Depending on year model, this might be the only thing you need to do.

Pedal too close to clutch cover.

In stock form, you can see how the brake pedal tip is cocked sideways. A simple fall over in a rock garden will force the pedal tip into the clutch cover.

Note how I have ground away the sharp edges. Also, I had to grind away the edge of the tip, (see where I am pointing?) This allowed the tip to be bevel with the brake lever when I reassembled. In other words, the tip isn't overhanging the pedal now..

See the difference? Next step is to replace the allen head bolts, with 2 hex head bolts. See how the allens are sticking up, and close to the case? The hex heads will allow a bit more clearance.