View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 09:46 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have a 2002 ec 300. I love this bike. Because of this bike i was able to tour the GG factory. Great memories.

I was concerned when KTM bought (techically, "invested in") GG. I did an exercise where i looked at common "power unit" replacement parts (Rod, piston, main bearings, seals, water pump, gears, shafts, kickstart mechanism, etc.). I had a list of about $1K worth of stuff i thought about buying.

I ended up buying just a clutch slave cylinder rebuild kit, a rear brake pedal (old style discontinued, and mine was sloppy, and the new one looked cool). Basically, through the years, nothing has changed with the engine. I bought my bike used, and the kick starter ratchet mechanism was a bit hosed up. I fixed that in 2007 when i bought the bike. I was concerned about buying a spare, but the 2018 kickstart is the same as the 2002. Water pump looks the same, water pump seal looks the same, etc. Why change what works?

AJP who make the GG slave clutch cylinder went out of business, but GG has another supplier, and that slave cylinder bolts right up to the 2002. I probably didn't need to buy a spare, but i did anyway.

This relieved my worry. With Reiju taking over, i am not going to worry about parts at all.

If i make it through this COVID-19 deal, and actually start riding in the dirt again, and if Mark Berg takes over Reiju distribution in the US, i might even buy a new Reiju. The lack of changes to the engine really illustrate how well done the GG is, and what value GG really provides. Much of what i have in inventory already would work with a new bike, so i'm already stocked with spares.

(Mark Berg running distribution is really a "must have" for me. No Mark, no sale.)