View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Ok Andy,

Before you run off buying a heap of needles, lets discuss where you were at with the N1EF. How did the bike run? Did you find it a bit fluffy off the bottom with a hard hit in the upper mid rpm? Pretty thirsty on fuel? Thats generally whats experienced with the N1Ex/NOZx needles. They have a short straight section and a steep first taper before leaning out. What clip position was it on when it ran well?

The F diameter needle will be good for a 250 with an AS1 carb (round screw cap), probably with a 45 pilot too, but it'll take some testing to get it right.

Alternate needle wise, avoid any of the threads/suggestions to run a W/J diameter needle (last letter of needle code). They are too lean for that particular carb and are focussed on the newer AS2. The needle profiles are what you want. If you were to buy a couple I'd suggest visiting your local ktm dealer/yamaha dealer and ordering a N3EG/N3C. KTM Part numbers - N3EG P/N: 54731134000 .......... N3CF P/N: 54731034500

For the NEDx/NECx I'd suggest the same. Either F or G diameters (take your own pick) I like to try different diameters to get a feel for what works best. Source them from the local Suzuki dealer. 13383-37FH0 NEEDLE,JET(NEDF) or 13383-37FA0 NEEDLE,JET(NECF).

Both sell bikes world wide, so should have no issues chasing up OEM parts for either. The other option is to chase around for a JD Blue as they work really well in that vintage bike and capacity engine. If you're shit out of luck, I'm sure many of us have the stock N1EF/N1EG needles laying around and would be more than willing to give them away for nothing.