Thread: Fouling plugs
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 05:53 AM

That's exactly the combination I used for years in my KTM's- Amsoil 80:1 and shell V-Power and I never had an issue.

Then I bought my first GasGas in 2018 a EC 300GP. And it fouled plugs from day one. Was a a really hard time.

Parts I changed:
Ignition coil, cable and cap (twice once from a GG once from a KTM 300)
ECU

Luckily my mate had bought the same bike and let me use all of his parts. Finally I swapped the carbs but it did not help either. I tried hotter plugs but they fouled too.

I was really gutted and had no clue what to do. 8 rides, 8 plugs. It always fouled the plugs when idling.
Then in my desparation I called James Dean and described him that the problem happens even if I jet the carb extremely lean (for testing) or extremely rich. James asked what oil and fuel are you running and how the bike runs when it is correctly jetted. I told him that the bike really runs almost perfect as I am a jetting nerd. He suggested to empty the tank and carb, fill fresh ethanol free fuel and use a different oil.

So I bought a bottle of Putoline Mx9 oil mixed it 60:1 (only Amsoil I used 80:1) and went for a ride.

All was good. Next ride I used Motul 710 and after that Motul 800 (80:1) and Fuch Silkolene Titanium (80:1,60:1).
The Gasser never ever fouled a single plug!

I contacted Amsoil and had quite a nice conversation with them. The said that they can't stress enough that Amsoil Saber is not to be used in two stroke motorcycles even though it fulfils the required specs and I should stop using it and go for AMsoil Interceptor.

Lesson learned!

I sold the Gasser finally (just to buy a 2019) and the new owner is happy and it never fouled a plug again.

Please try that and let me know what you found.

Cheers Doc

edit: no I did not make the crosscheck. I still do not know was it the Saber oil or the Shell gas or even both. I just use 98 ethanol free fuel of any brand and oil designed specifically for 2 stroke bikes...