Thread: Jetting Change
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'd advise to make sure the float is set correctly. If it drools with the bike leaned over on the stand, it needs to be reset.

Next I'd look at the airscrew. Turn it in all the way and see how many turns out it is set. A good starting point is 1.5 turns out from fully seated.

Check where your needle clip is. If it is in one of the lower settings, move it up. The needle will make the most dramatic changes in the way the bike runs, and it's simple to check.

I wouldn't think your main jet would be the source of your issues unless you're always running around WFO. The pilot might be a bit rich, but if it's fouling out in a half an hour, I don't think that's it either. You could easily lean it out a couple of steps to see if you don't get good results with the others.

There is a possibility that it's not jetting at all, but electrical, but with your description of the exhaust, likely not.

Another possibility, and this is an ugly one: If your right side crank bearing is leaking, transmission oil will leak into the engine as it runs, creating lots of smoke out the exhaust, and the smelliest, nasty, gross scent ever, not typical two stroke smell. That would be your clue on this option.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs